Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I just received one of the Jacques Lemans GU205A watches. This is the Quartz version. There is an automatic mechanical version for about twice the price. For those who don't know, Jacques Lemans is an Austrian owned company started by the Riedel brothers about 25+ years ago. They have facilities in Geneva where they build their "Geneve" line of watches. They make everything from $100 cheapos to $4000 plus quality watches. This model is one of their mid-priced watches. Unfortunately, they are one of those companies, like Invicta, that post ridiculous recommended retail prices for their watches so that the resellers can offer 50 to 80% discounts on them. The true average retail price for this watch is $599, but with some careful shopping around you can get it for between $440 and $485. First, let me say that it is drop-dead gorgeous when seen in person. The pictures do not do it justice. The quality of manufacture looks excellent. The face is well done and the various indicator hands point exactly where they are supposed to. The bezel turns smoothly and feels like it has 120 clicks per full rotation. The bracelet is a quality piece and appears to have solid end links. The stainless steel of the case and bracelet is beautifully polished with no swirl marks. The black central ceramic links look beautiful with the polished stainless. I have no idea who makes the quartz movement for this watch other than it is listed as "Swiss made". That could means anything because there are Swiss made quartz movements that are junk and those that are top quality and compare well with the best Japanese quartz movements. At this price level, I suspect it has one of the better Swiss quartz movements in it such as the ETA. I'm not about to pull the back off to check (this voids the warranty). I guess I'll find out when it comes time to replace the battery. Speaking of warranty, you do not get a warranty from Jacques Lemans. The warranty is from the Swiss Watch International group out of Florida. They are the North American distributors for Jacques Lemans. Their warranty sheet states "Your brand name watch is now guaranteed by SWI group and not the manufacturer of your timepiece". The warranty they give is for the movement only and it specifically states that the watch case, bracelet, strap, crystal, battery or crown, pushers or stem are not covered. That's the entire watch except for the movement. The Jacques Lemans International Warranty card that accompanies the watch states very simply "Your watch has a two year guarantee against any manufacturing defects." This sort of comprehensive warranty is what you give up in exchange for the deep discounts you get when buying over the internet. I have said nothing about accuracy of the watch because I haven't had it long enough, but almost any quartz watch will be sufficiently accurate for anything you might need. As for how it holds up over time, I'll try to write an addendum in a year or so. This is a rather long introduction to the "one small problem" that I mentioned in the header of this review. That problem is sizing the bracelet for your wrist. The bracelet on this watch has large links. The one I received has no half-links like most better watches do. There is also no fine adjustment built into the bracelet clasp as many other watches have. So the bottom line is that it may be almost impoossible to get a proper fit. I have an 8.25 inch wrist which is in the average range for a lot of men. With one link removed, the watch was way too loose. With two removed it was tighter than I usually like to wear a watch. It left some marks on my wrist after wearing it for five minutes. I have sent an e-mail to the SWI Group asking if Jacques Lemans makes a half-link for this bracelet. If not, I guess I'll either have to wear it a little tight or lose twenty pounds. So, beware; if you buy this admittedly beautiful and well made piece, you may not be able to get a good fit.
EDIT - It is now 20 October 2010. I got in touch with the distributor, Swiss Watch International Group and inquired about a half-link for this watch. They didn't know, so they queried the manufacturer. Apparently JL does make a half-link for this bracelet. They told me the price would be $10 for the half-link and $10 for shipping. I am waiting for it to arrive. I am certain that the watch will be a perfect fit with the half-link. Swiss Watch International Group responded rapidly to my requests and they deserve a big huzzah! for their customer service. By the way; so far the watch has been extremely accurate. I really didn't expect any less from a quality quartz movement, but it is still nice to have your expectations confirmed.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Jacques Lemans Men's GU205A Geneve Collection Tempora Chronograph Watch
Product Description:
A modern design and a classy style fuse into one to form the Jacques Lemans. This timepiece will accentuate your style and add distinction to your wardrobe.
Want to buy Jacques Lemans Men's GU205A Geneve Collection Tempora Chronograph Watch at other amazon sites? Click the corresponding icon below:
0 comments:
Post a Comment